Beginning Dec. 1, 2023, more people can get health coverage through Medicaid. Medicaid will cover people ages 19 through 64 years with higher incomes. North Carolinians may be able to get health care insurance through Medicaid even if they didn’t qualify before.
Additionally, people who have limited benefits through Family Planning Medicaid and meet the new eligibility rules will automatically receive full Medicaid coverage beginning December 1, 2023. Individuals who have automatically been transitioned from Family Planning to Medicaid should have received a letter from their local Department of Social Services informing them of the change.
Medicaid pays for doctor visits, yearly check-ups, emergency care, mental health services, and more – at little or no cost to beneficiaries.
Most people will be able to get health care coverage through Medicaid if they meet the criteria below. If you were eligible before, you still are eligible. To learn more, go to medicaid.ncdhhs.gov.
- Live in North Carolina
- Age 19 through 64
- Are a citizen. Some non-U.S. citizens can get health care coverage through Medicaid. To learn more, go to medicaid.ncdhhs.gov.
- Have a household income that is below 138% of the federal poverty level. That’s about $20,000 for a single adult or about $34,000 for a family of three.
People can apply for Medicaid online at epass.nc.gov. They can also submit a paper application or apply in person at their local Department of Social Services (DSS). Applications may take up to 45 days to process. Incomplete applications may take longer. To help the process go faster, people can:
- Apply online at ePASS and provide all the information requested. If the application is incomplete, it may take longer to process. DSS will need to follow up with the applicant.
- Keep contact information up-to-date in ePASS, to receive all important information about Medicaid benefits.
- Sign up for an enhanced ePASS account to keep their information updated without having to contact the local DSS office.
Applications and verifications can be sent to Brunswick County Social Services via email or mail. If individuals have any questions regarding Medicaid Expansion, call 910.253.2422.